Police shoot armed man near Metz

Police shoot armed man near Metz - Police have shot and wounded a man armed with a knife after he attacked officers inside a police barracks in eastern France on Monday. Shortly before the knifeman struck the police facility near Metz, the local police operations centre received warning that an atrocity was to be committed in the name of the Islamic State.

Several hours after the attack, there had been no claims of responsibility. A judicial source said the national antiterrorist prosecutor was not investigating the case at this stage. The knifeman wounded one officer in the hand before he was shot and later taken to hospital. France’s Interior Minister Christophe Casternar praised the cool response of the officers

The incident will raise further questions over security at police facilities.

In October, an information technology assistant at the police headquarters in central Paris went on a knife rampage inside the building, killing four people before he was shot dead. He had converted to Islam a decade earlier.

Last local news

French and Riviera News Monday 13th July 2020

A 17-year-old boy has been stabbed to death after a fight broke out amongst several teenagers on Sunday. The incident occurred shortly after 8pm in th... French and Riviera News Monday 13th July 2020 Read More

13/07/2020

Evening Update Friday 10 July 2020

Sante Publique France have said today that they have noted "a new trend towards an increase in the circulation" of the coronavirus... Evening Update Friday 10 July 2020 Read More

10/07/2020

Lunchtime News Friday 10th July 2020

The Landsberg beach in Saint Laurent du Var located between the promenade des Flots Bleus and Cap 3000 is to remain closed for the summer due to pollu... Lunchtime News Friday 10th July 2020 Read More

10/07/2020

French and Riviera News Friday 10th July 2020

The Var, Bouches du Rhone and the Vaucluse region have today been placed on an air pollution alert. French and Riviera News Friday 10th July 2020 Read More

10/07/2020

Evening Update Thursday 9 July 2020

A French compensation organisation has announced today that 2,363 victims of the Nice attack of July 14, 2016 have received or will receive compensati... Evening Update Thursday 9 July 2020 Read More

09/07/2020